For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Calx1 - Cycle Power Is Springing Forward At Cal Expo

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - by Scott Ehrlich, Publicity – Cal Expo

He has shown more interest earlier than normal in his last two races, and if that is an indication of things to come, then the opponents of Cycle Power better watch out.

Winners-Over pacers, racing for a purse of $4,500, were featured at Cal Expo on Friday night (March 23), on which Cycle Power repeated.

Before starting from his assigned post-two in the field of five, how did Lemoyne Svendsen approach his first drive on a pacer known to have his quirks while making his drivers work?

"I had no thoughts, but I was told all about him and simply worked around that," stated Svendsen.

With the field still a sixteenth of a mile from the start, Svendsen was already attempting to send a message by urging his charge pretty good.

"I was just trying to get him up on the rigging."

Lagging the start one-length, but while all his other foes found themselves four-across the track, Cycle Power would come away in fourth position for a pleased Svendsen as a result of the favorite Haggin Oaks (James Kennedy) breaking an eighth of a mile past the start.

"I was surprised he was up there tight on the field because he's usually always gapping, gapping, gapping.  With us going :28.1 in the first-quarter, I was just happy that he was staying up close as well as he was."

Remaining in the cleanup spot through a slow :29.3 second-quarter, the surprises hadn't ended for Svendsen into a :57.4 opening half-mile.

"I was surprised again that he actually had a hold of me because he's usually noodle-lining everybody that drives him."

Giving his pacer one urge to the five-eighths mile marker, Svendsen, with a pacer that usually sits in the turns, opted to pull uncovered just to the five-eighths.

"He still had a good hold of me, so I said let's go, and when I pulled him he started marching."

 Urged and gaining to the midway point of the final-turn, Svendsen soon found himself three-wide just past the 11-16ths mile pole when Marlin Hanover (Luke Plano) pulled.  Was he concerned?

"I was coming hard enough on Marlin Hanover when he pulled, so I just wheeled him three-deep, but it didn't concern me because I had such a good head of steam that I knew I was going to go by."

Continuing to move forward to the three-quarter mile station (1:27) like he never had turn issues, Svendsen knew several things were in his favor - - especially once his gelding took the lead very late in the final-turn. 

"The :29.1 third quarter didn't hurt," laughed Svendsen.  "As for my chances, I still knew I was going by without any problems, plus with a horse that has already made the front before the stretch where he really kicks in - - that's a real good feeling."

Drifting out a bit with 3-16ths of a mile to go, then straightening out to the seven-eighths mile pole while urged, Svendsen had to deal at mid-stretch with the only horse having any chance, or did he?

Amigo De Garcia (Steve Wiseman) was the one horse I was worried about when I saw him, but it turns out he didn't have the go to catch me while my horse was perfect through the stretch."

Maintaining the lead through the lane, there'd be no catching Cycle Power as the Nathalie Tremblay owned & trained gelding reported home a winner ($18.60) by 2-1/4 lengths, timed in a seasonal best 1:54.3.  Amigo De Garcia finished in second, and One And Only (Jim Lackey) finished 2-1/2 lengths farther back, in third.

"It was one of his better ones and he raced excellent," concluded Svendsen.

Live racing continues at Cal Expo on Saturday (March 24) at 6:00 p.m. (PDT).   On Saturday, Cal Expo offers Happy Hour from 4:00-7:00 p.m. on which Beer; Well Drinks & Wine are offered at $4 each, while Hotdogs, Fries & Sodas are offered at $2 apiece.

Cal Expo currently offers a reduced 15 percent takeout rate on all Pick 4’s.  Additionally, all Late Pick 4’s now come with an increased $20,000-guaranteed gross pool.  Also, the Friday Late Pick 4 will offer a 0% takeout on all winning wagers made on track or at Twinspires.com, while the Saturday Late Pick 4 will be broadcast on TVG.