For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Thursday, March 15, 2012

M1 - Gural Addresses PETA Concerns Toward the Treatment of Racehorses

I think by now most of us are aware the HBO series “Luck” about thoroughbred racing has been canceled due to the fact that apparently three horses have had to be euthanized during the filming of the series. Obviously, this is a black eye for horse racing and is receiving a lot of publicity. 

On a different note, I want to make everyone aware that about a month ago I was contacted by Kathy Guillermo, Vice President of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) expressing her concern that they had received numerous complaints about horses at the Meadowlands being whipped and receiving illegal medications to enhance their performance. While I share her concern about the illegal medication issue and have already taken steps to hopefully monitor that situation, I assured her that under no circumstances would I tolerate any horses being abused as a result of the existing whipping rules. 

  I am pleased to report that I have met with the drivers and judges and we are in the process of making changes to the whipping rules at the Meadowlands and possibly the type of whips used in an effort to convince PETA that the horses are not being abused. I have agreed with PETA that once we resolve the whipping issue we would then focus on the drug issue as I believe they can be a positive force in getting the government, including the state police and racing commission to put more resources in place to solve this problem.

In any case, I just wanted everyone to be aware that they can expect changes in the whipping rules at the Meadowlands and abuse to any horse racing at the Meadowlands will not be tolerated.