For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Thursday, March 22, 2012

MR - ZEKE P ARKER BACK IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE AFTER SURGERY

After a two–and-a-half month hiatus due to prostate cancer surgery, Billy “Zeke” Parker Jr. got back in the winners circle at Monticello Raceway on Wednesday, March 21. And that afternoon Zeke had his photo taken three times.

He won both ends of the early double; first with Mo Jo Stables’  Cam’s Accord in 1:58.4 in the first race  and then came right back to score a 2:03.3 victory with Gary and Roberta Decker’s  trotter, Wonderful Race min the second
Zeke also won the trotting feature behind Brenda Messenger and Stephen Petersheim’s Chosen Voyageur in 1:59.2.

Parker returned slowly to action on Monday, March 19 and went winless in seven drives that day.
“Zeke got parked the entire mile in his first race back and let me tell you I never saw him hung the entire mile here… ever,” longtime track announcer, Howard Oil said with snigger  in his voice. “They (the drivers) showed him no respect.”

“I had a couple of chances to back into a hole but I guess I was a little cautious in my first start back”,  Parker said referring to being hung the entire mile. He paused and then added  “Ya’ know ,I just went through a serious operation  and I decided I wouldn’t push it. There’ll be plenty more chances to win a race.”
On Tuesday Zeke had seven drives with only two second place finishers to show for his efforts.

Then on Wednesday Zeke looked like his old self when he drove three winners and a second and a third place finish in eight starts.

Asked how it felt getting back to the winner’s circle Parker smiled one of those cat that swallowed  canary smiles and  said  softly,  but with confidence, “ Of course  it feels good …and after what I just went through  maybe it feels even better than it did before”,  then added philosophically,” Ya’ know, when you’re sick, or in my case after undergoing a serious operation, it makes you think a lot more about your life, and what is important  and what isn’t.  I’m just glad to be back doing what I love to do.”