For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Thursday, May 17, 2012

MR - MIKE MERTON REINS TWO MORE WINNERS; NEEDS JUST 11 FOR 2000

As he approaches a career milestone,  Mike Merton  is heading for 2000 lifetime wins and he doesn’t seem to be hampered by  the proverbial jinx that ensues when  someone approaches a  highlight in their careers.

“I don’t feel any pressure now and maybe as I get closer to 2000 I will. Some guys tell me that winning that last one always seems to be the hardest one to come by but I guess I’ll find out for myself soon.” Merton explained.

Pressure didn’t bother the 40 year old reinsman on Wednesday afternoon, May 16th  at Monticello Raceway. Merton added two more victories to his resume and now with 1989 career wins  he just 11 away from his immediate goal.

Merton  had five drives on the 10-race card and scored two  victories. He won the first race with Richard Banca’s  Get Out Of Tue ($6.50) in a 1:59.1 clocking and then won the ninth race with Greg Decker’s Lindwood Native ($4.30) in 1:59.2.

Those triumphs  gave the Monticello- native  59 wins at the current meet which is good for fifth place on the local leaderboard.