For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nfld - BIG BAD TJ OFF TO GOOD START IN 2012

Seven year-old pacer Big Bad TJ has started the new year in impressive style, with a win and a second in his first two outings. On Monday, January 9, he cruised gate to wire to prevail by 3 ¾ lengths in 1:55.4.

Big Bad TJ (Photo by JJ Zamaiko Photography)


Owner/trainer Terry Tackett bought Big Bad TJ as a yearling from the Blooded Horse Sale in Delaware, Ohio for the bargain price of $1,600.  “I figured a Western Ideal yearling was worth the risk for that price,” commented Tackett.  Shortly after his purchase, Terry’s father, Thurman Tackett, changed the horse’s name to Big Bad TJ, naming him after Terry’s son, TJ.

The father-son team broke Big Bad TJ, but only trained him down and turned him out because he was not ready to race as a two year-old.  Big Bad TJ started his racing career at the age of three, winning his first start at Northfield Park in the time of 1:58.3. Since then he has started 129 more times and has won 20 races, taking a mark of 1:53.4 as a five year-old at Scioto Downs.

Terry Tackett, who had only helped his father while holding down a full-time factory job, switched roles with his dad and took over training in 2010 when his father was diagnosed with cancer.  Terry lost his help and mentor in November, 2010 when his father passed away.  “When dad got sick, I never thought twice about quitting my job but only about keeping going what my dad had started,” recalled Terry.

Terry raced Big Bad TJ until March 2011, when the horse experienced health complications that forced him off the racetrack for what might have been a permanent retirement.  “I was so concerned for him, and I was willing to do whatever he needed,” said Terry.  His time of rest was not the most restful as Big Bad TJ bred all five of Terry’s mares.  “TJ was turned out at my farm and I was feeding him, so I thought I would get the most out of it by breeding my mares to him,” explained Terry.  Not only was his rest not restful, it was much shorter than Terry and the vets expected.  “TJ is the strongest horse I have ever seen and I thought I would try and bring him back,” said Terry, who began training Big Bad TJ just 60 days after turning him out.

The rest of Big Bad TJ’s story has yet to be written. He continues to win races, and his first foal is set to be born in the near future.