For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Sunday, January 29, 2012

CalX1 - Marlin Hanover Hooks His Foes Again At Cal Expo

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - by Scott Ehrlich, Publicity – Cal Expo

Winners-Over pacers, racing for a purse of $4,500, were featured at Cal Expo on Saturday night (January 28), on which Marlin Hanover was a measured winner.

Prior to starting from his assigned post-five in the field of the same number, driver Luke Plano let the formbook play into his strategy.

"I thought there would be a chance that there would be a speedy first-quarter," said Plano.  "So I was definitely thinking about racing him from the back early and letting things settle down.  My horse is in good shape and I thought my chances were good depending upon how things shook out early."

Coming away last, but while Amigo De Garcia (Steve Wiseman), One And Only (Jim Lackey) and Haggin Oaks (James Kennedy) bickered across the track for over an eighth of a mile, Plano certainly wasn't upset.

"It looked like they were fighting more than they were going fast, but the mixing up couldn't hurt me, it could only help me just because I thought I had a better chance of getting in the race."

With Haggin Oaks not making the lead until just to the quarter, timed in :29, this also worked out for Plano.

"The :29 wasn't fast for Haggin Oaks, but it was a testy lead and as a result I figured James was looking for a breather.  As soon as he cleared he slowed down  - -  and that's when I opted to move to the front."

On the move to the 5-16ths mile marker and moving quickly, Plano had to deal with a not so friendly Haggin Oaks.

"They were stretching me a little more than I expected, but I figured my horse could handle the move, and as it turns out I don't think the stretching to the lead hurt him too much."

Not clearing to the point until a decent ways past the half-mile juncture, timed in :58.1, the five year-old paced what appeared to be an effortless :28.1 third-quarter split while reaching the three-quarter mile station, timed in 1:26.2.

"He was fairly aggressive once he cleared to the front, plus I had him in gear when we cleared, but it didn't concern me because he was comfortable doing it.  I had plenty of pace at the three-quarters and I thought I was in good shape, however, I wasn't sure what the guys behind me had, including Haggin Oaks who is usually real good off the trip she was getting - - so I still knew it wasn't over."

Asking his charge to the head of the lane and now in full gear, the gelding led by about two-lengths when Haggin Oaks was out for the drive in the upper-stretch.

"When Haggin Oaks pulled I thought my horse kind of paced away as Haggin Oaks didn't really give me the pressure I expected.  But I did hear other horses coming and I still didn't know whether I was home yet."

Under urging with a sixteenth of a mile to go while Amigo De Garcia was closing on the outside with One And Only closing up the inside, was Plano concerned?

"They were both getting closer and closer it seemed late, but my horse was still pacing strong and I thought he was going to hold and as it turned out, he did."

Owned by Richard Morita & David Yamada, the Liberio Pacheco trained pacer won ($8.80) by three-quarters of one-length, in 1:54.1, a seasonal best.  Amigo De Garcia finished in second, and One And Only finished just a neck farther back, in third.

"I thought the horse raced well as he normally does.  He continues to be in great shape," finished Plano, who had five winners, giving him 13 victories over the last two Saturday programs.


Live racing resumes at Cal Expo on Friday (February 3) & Saturday (February 4) at 6:00 p.m. (PST).  On Friday and every live card, Cal Expo offers free admission, as well as free preferred & general parking after 4:30 p.m.  Also on Friday, Cal Expo offers Happy Hour from 4:00-7:00 p.m. on which Beer, Well Drinks & Wine are offered at $4 each, while a Burger with fries is offered at $5.

Cal Expo continues to offer a reduced 15 percent takeout rate on all Pick 4’s (Thursday/Friday nights in partnership with the USTA Strategic Wagering Committee).  In addition, all Late Pick 4’s will come with a $10,000-guaranteed pool.  On Saturday nights, there will be a 0% takeout on successful Late Pick 4 tickets made at Cal Expo or at Twinspires.com.