For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Friday, June 29, 2012

MR - MIKE MERTON; DUMPED OUT IN A QUALIFYING RACE; WINS FIVE ON THE BETTING CARD


Thursday, June 28 didn’t start out so well for Mike Merton at Monticello Raceway . But things sure  got good in a hurry later on.
During the morning qualifiers Merton  was up behind  a pacer by the name of My  Hot Pip and  got dumped out on the first turn

“I had a broken line and I couldn’t control my horse and we ran up on the back of Pete Stratton. When  that happened someone hit me from behind and I got knocked off the bike . I wasn’t hurt and  neither were the other guys involved in the accident,” Merton related .” They remained seated and my horse was quickly caught.”
Merton got back up after the mishap and drove in later qualifying events. So much for the bad news.

When the betting  got underway  things went  from the ridiculous  to the sublime for Merton. He won the first five races on the card .
“ I landed on my head and it must have done something for me,” Merton said jokingly. “ I had my best  day in years.”

Merton started the afternoon program with a decisive 1:56.4 six-length victory  with Blue Boy ($3.10) and then won the second race trot behind Marquee T ($10.80) in 2:02.1.
The third race produced win number three  for Merton when he guided  Get Out Of Tune ($7.60) home first in a time of 1:58.4. Still red hot, Merton then delivered another victory in the fourth this time with  17-1 longshot  Don’t Call Us ($37.00). His fifth consecutive win came next  when he hustled Straightistheway  to a 2:00.0 triumph. He also had  a second and two thirds and was off the board only once in nine starts.

When asked if he has ever had a better day than today Merton thought a moment and said: “I won five races  (on one card) three times before but I  never won five- in- a- row. So yes, considering everything, I think this will be my most memorable day  thus far, especially after having been in a wreck in  a qualifying race in the morning.”
Recently Merton passed the 2000-win plateau –now with 2017--and his five victories on Thursday’s   card raised his seasonal total here  to 87; good for sixth place on the local leaderboard.