For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Sunday, June 10, 2012

CalX1 - Neither Post Nor Wind Can Stop Albion At Cal Expo

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - by Scott Ehrlich, Publicity – Cal Expo

He started five slots away from his closest rival, then had to fight Mother-Nature, but Albion was still able to get back on the winning track.

Winners-Over pacers, racing for a purse of $6,800, were featured at Cal Expo on very windy Saturday night (June 9), on which Albion recorded his 12th win of the year thus putting him in a second-place tie nationally for most wins for all horses on the season.

In advance of starting from his assigned post-ten in the field of six, driver Luke Plano had two possible obstacles to contend with.

"With the wind (HEADWIND) blowing up the backside like it was, I didn't want to come away last from the ten-hole - - so I planned on getting him in the race early," said Plano.  "The ten-hole didn't help, but he has been racing good all along and if I could get the right run - - he'd be tough."

Leaving and racing about five-wide until racing four-wide as the field entered the first-turn, Plano had to make sure he got around a breaking Haggin Oaks (James Kennedy) an eighth of a mile past the start.

"I was kind of keeping my eyes on Haggin Oaks because when she left the gate, Kennedy seemed concerned going out of there.  But I was also kind of waiting for the smoke to clear because Scott Cisco and Split Ticket had left out of there pretty good from the one-hole.  So I was just kind of taking my time in getting to the top."

Not racing two-wide until after the field had traveled 3-16ths of a mile, Albion wouldn't clear the lead until a decent ways past the quarter-mile pole, timed in :27.3.  Was the lead tough?

"It was a fairly testy quarter and lead, but with the wind blowing us out of there, it wasn't that bad.  So I was okay with the :27.3 and still thought I had a solid chance from there."

With Plano "appearing" to take a hold of his pacer once on the front, the pair reached the half-mile station, timed in :58.2.

"The headwind was blowing hard and I really didn't take a hold of the horse as much as the wind was slowing us down - - so I was just kind of letting him rate himself.  The :30.4 second-quarter was what you need when the wind is blowing like that and he was comfortable doing it.  I thought I had no excuse off that."

Chasing some after his gelding at the five-eighths mile pole as well as shaking the lines, what was Plano trying to accomplish?

"Off the :30.4 I obviously thought I got a solid breather and thought I could kind of let him get going and not let anybody get too close to him from there.  But maybe because of the wind and the track being a little deep, he wasn't responding quite as well and I ended up going slower than I wanted in that quarter."

On top by 2-1/4 lengths at the three-quarter mile marker, timed in 1:29.3, Plano surely had to feel home free off a :31.1 third-quarter and a 1:02 middle-half.

"It didn't seem like anybody was making up that much ground from where I was sitting, so I still thought I was in good shape.  Then as soon as he got out of the turn and into the stretch, I asked him and I thought he responded well and felt I was in the clear."

Maintaining his 2-1/4 advantage with an eighth of a mile to go, Plano soon had company.

"I heard Tax Relief (Dave Siegel) making a bid around mid-stretch and I had a slight concern at that point.  I, however, got into my horse a little bit and he responded well once again and fought him off right through the wire."

Owned by Dan Tullio & James Mascola in partnership with trainer Matias Ruiz, the six year-old won ($2.60) by one-length, in 1:57.1.  Tax Relief finished in second, and Cowboy Hanover (Kevin Anderson) finished 5-3/4 lengths farther back, in third.

"The horse is sharp and has been all along and throws a solid race every time I've sat behind him.  He's a very nice animal," concluded Plano.

Live racing resumes at Cal Expo on Friday (June 15) & on closing night, Saturday (June 16) at 6:00 p.m. (PDT).  On every live card, Cal Expo offers free parking & free admission after 4:30 p.m.  On Friday, Cal Expo offers Happy Hour from 4:00-7:00 p.m. on which Beer; Well Drinks & Wine are offered at $4 each, while a Burger with fries is offered at $5.

Cal Expo currently offers a reduced 15 percent takeout rate on all Pick 4’s.  Additionally, all Late Pick 4’s now come with an increased $20,000-guaranteed gross pool.  Also, the Friday Late Pick 4 will offer a 0% takeout on all winning wagers made on track or at Twinspires.com, while the Saturday Late Pick 4 will be broadcast on TVG.