For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

MR - ZEKE PARKER WINS FIVE; CLOSING IN ON THE LEADERS

Quietly and without much fanfare, Zeke Parker has been chipping away at the leaders and with five winners on the 11-race card of Wednesday, July 25th he  has moved ever closer.

Parker started the afternoon out slowly and didn’t hit paydirt until the fifth race when he guided Dominick Rafanelli’s, I have It All ($13.80)to a 2:01 victory. He then won the next two races; the sixth behind Dr. Scott  Woogen’s trotter, Strength’s Victory ($4.20) in 2:01 and the seventh with Mike Funke’s Four Starz Pop Pop ($3.20) in 1:59.1.
Parker also  won the final two races; the 10th with Kibler, Wagner & Woogen’s trotter Sin To Win ($6.50) in 1:59.1 and the 11th behind Irwin Kaplan’s Now That’s Art ($2.50) in 1:59.

Mired in the unfamiliar position of fifth on the local leaderboard, Parker has made up ground after getting a late start this season because he was  recuperating from prostate cancer surgery in early January.
When he finally continued driving in late-March after a three month hiatus, the leaders were some 60 wins in front of the 17-time Mighty M driving champ. Now with 108 winners here this year Parker is closing in on the leaders but still finds himself  40 or so ,driving victories from away.

“If I can  put together  a handful of days like today I’ll make up a lot of ground  on Greg (Merton), Jimmy (Taggart, Jr.)  and  Jimmy (Marohn), Jr., Parker said. “Sure I’d like to be at the top again but it isn’t quite as important to me now as it was when I was younger.”
Now with 10,729 wins to his credit Parker finds himself among the elite drivers in the sport. He currently ranks  seventh all-time  and closing in on number six;  his friend and fellow Mainer, Walter Case Jr. who  has 11,038 driving victories..

“Yeh, but  Casey’s still  400 wins ahead of me and it’ll take a lot of winning to just to get to 11,000,”Parker added.”Really, the truth be known, after what I went through with my prostate cancer I’m just happy to be back doing what I love to do…………. drive horses.”