For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Friday, July 20, 2012

CKG Billings - KRIVELIN; ANTONACCI ; BILLINGS WINNERS AT THE MEADOWLANDS

Harness racing’s best traveling roadshow, the C.K.G. Billings Harness Driving Championship,  moved on to the mile oval at the Meadowlands on Thursday, July 19 with two trots carded; one a non-wagering affair and the other the third race on the betting card.

Veteran amateur reinsman, Bob “the Rapid Rail” Krivelin won the wagering event with Permanent Joy in a time of 1:59.1  to score his 135th driving victory while 17-year-old newcomer, Philip “Sharky” Antonacci took home the lion’s share of the non-wagering trot with Papas Moni in a 1:59.1 clocking  marking the youngster’s first winning drive and  his first Billings triumph.
Krivelin  exhibited  logic in winning his race when he came from  10th at the half to rally to a two length victory over Drill Sergeant Sam driven  by Peter “the Past President”  Gerry. Swagger Begonia and John “Johnny Camps” Campagnuolo was another length in rears in third place.

“Normally in these Billings races everybody leaves  and tonight it was a cavalry charge into the first turn so I took back even though   I thought I had the  best horse,” Krivilen related. “ Then I waited.. and when no one moved going to the half I pulled and think I caught a few off guard because  I came from last at the time.
“I got alongside the leaders as we passed the third quarter and I just kept my horse moving. We went three deep and were on Pennacchio’s horse’s  throat latch around the turn and at the top of the stretch  when we headed for home  my horse was the strongest to the wire.”

Sent off at odds of 7-2 Permanent Joy, owned by the Hero Stables, paid $7.00.
In then other split young Antonacci handled himself like a veteran  when he left a from the seven hole and  fell in third  heading to the quarter as Dave “Steady As” Yarock and Kris’s Legacy  led the way.

When Yarock’s trotter started to get away from the field going to the halfway point Antonacci  moved first-up and Papas Moni and Kris’s Legacy raced head to head by the third stanza. But from there it was all “Sharky” as he and Papas Moni trotted off to a three- length triumph over Famous Image driven by “On The Mark” Eaton. Third place went to Cuzzin Rob handled by Mark “Wakefern” Schullstrom.
“ It was my first win and it felt great, almost surreal especially at a place like the Meadowlands, “young  Antonacci said after his driving victory.” I left out of there pretty good and sat the three hole and pulled first up at the half and ended up clearing at the 3/4. From there it was smooth sailing home.” 

Asked if the bubbly flowed after his win Antonacci  wasted no time in responding: “Nope (I) had to work the rest of the night( had two other horses in). My dad and brother Frank were really proud of me and were happy with the way I drove. “
Papas Moni is owned by K R Breeding

Also on the betting card were two amateur paces in the new GSY Series. The first event  was won by Sharron R driven by  Brad Rathbone while the other was copped by  Hendrix handled by  Saratoga Raceway’s racing secretary Don Hoover