For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Sunday, February 5, 2012

CalX1 - Putoneonnetformom is Super Once Again At Cal Expo

Sunday, February 5, 2012 - by Scott Ehrlich, Publicity – Cal Expo


The lead was soft, he had no challengers, and Putoneonnetformom easily made it three in-a-row.

Winners-Over trotters, racing for a purse of $4,500, were featured at Cal Expo on Saturday night (February 4), on which Putoneonnetformom was well rated to his 21st career victory.

Leaving nicely from his assigned post-four in the field of five, and with no other leavers, driver James Kennedy was able to take a hold of his charge after a sixteenth of a mile while obtaining the lead just before the field entered the first-turn.  Already setting a sensible pace while under a hold, the eight year-old reached the quarter-mile pole, timed in an easy :30 seconds.  Still under a hold and fairly anxious in the second-quarter, Kennedy obliged his trotter.

"Coming to the half I was just trying to get him geared up by shaking the lines a little bit and yelling a little bit," said Kennedy.  "I was doing this because I wanted him geared up for the third-quarter because it takes a little while to rev him up, plus with Meringue (Luke Plano) behind me - - if I could make him have to work in the third-quarter, then that would work to my advantage."

Yet to take a deep breath while now on the final-turn and still under a grip, Kennedy let out a notch past the five-eighths mile station.

"I was trying to get away from everybody and he responded well when I asked."

Starting to expand his lead midway through the final-turn, the gelding trotted an effortless :28.3 third-quarter while reaching the three-quarter mile marker on top by 2-3/4 lengths, timed in 1:28.2.

"I knew I pretty much had it in the bag at that point because it seemed like I had a lot of horse left, I was getting away from the field, plus I hadn't popped the earplugs yet.  Then when I did pop them late in the turn - - he was awesome."

Continuing to march on in the lane, Kennedy basically was along for the ride.

"He was very responsive in the lane and all I was doing was hollering at him.  As a matter of fact, he was more responsive this week - - even more than last week - - and last week I thought it was the best he had been in a while."

Bred & owned by Jeff, Gerald & Diana Cimini, the Rocky Stidham trained trotter cruised to a very easy three-length triumph ($3.00), in 1:57.4, equaling a seasonal best.  Meringue finished in second, and Giles L S Hanover (Steve Wiseman) finished two-lengths farther back, in third.

"He's really on his game now and raced awesome.  My thanks again to the connections for the opportunity to drive him - - I appreciate it," concluded Kennedy.

Live racing resumes at Cal Expo on Friday (February 10) & Saturday (February 11) at 6:00 p.m. (PST).  On Friday and every live card, Cal Expo offers free admission, as well as free preferred & general parking after 4:30 p.m.  Also on Friday, Cal Expo offers Happy Hour from 4:00-7:00 p.m. on which Beer, Well Drinks & Wine are offered at $4 each, while a Burger with fries is offered at $5.

Cal Expo continues to offer a reduced 15 percent takeout rate on all Pick 4’s (Thursday/Friday nights in partnership with the USTA Strategic Wagering Committee).  In addition, all Late Pick 4’s will come with a $10,000-guaranteed pool.  On Saturday nights, there will be a 0% takeout on successful Late Pick 4 tickets made at Cal Expo or at Twinspires.com.