For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

MR - THREE ARTIST DENIES HAROUN HANOVER HIS 12TH WIN OF THE YEAR

Three Artist denied Haroun Hanover his 12th seasonal victory but the 5 year old Real Artist gelding had to go in 1:55.3 to do it.

Haroun Hanover was seeking his 12th seasonal triumph except Three Artist got in his way and out-footed the  Bettor’s Delight gelding in the deep stretch to emerge  victorious in the  $12,500 claiming event at  Monticello Raceway  on Tuesday afternoon, April 16.

“I figured I was going to get a good trip,” winning driver Zeke Parker said about Three Artist who was starting from the pole position. “I thought if I stayed on Marohn’s back I’d be able to beat him but that Haroun Hanover is a tough customer. “

Jimmy Marohn, Jr. was again on the pilot’s seat behind Haroun Hanover who was leaving from the three-hole and when the gate sprung Marohn gunned him to the lead with Parker and Three Artist tight on his back.

Haroun Hanover led the field by the quarter in :28.2 and was on top at the halfway point in :57.2.

Marohn gave his pacer a little breather up the backside while trying to force Parker to pull Three Artist earlier than he wanted. But it didn’t work. Parker waited until the final turn before he made a move and then  slowly began to grind forward.

At the top of the lane as the two pacers headed for paydirt they were side by side. At that point it appeared that Three Artist would sweep to the lead but Haroun Hanover hung tough.  However, about a hundred yards before the finish Parker’s pacer forged to the front to score his first victory of the season.

“I was undecided whether to  wait until the stretch to move on Marohn but I figured if I did he’d back into me, so I moved a little bit earlier. When I pulled I really thought I’d  get by him with no trouble but Marohn’s horse didn’t quit. We come (sic) a last quarter in :28 and a piece  and I was all out to beat him,” Parker said.

Owned by Ethel Schneider of Factoryville, Pa. and trained by Pete Pellegrino  Three Artist paid 5.10 for win.

As usual the starting was again needed to help Marohn pull-up Haroun Hanover after the race.

“He just doesn’t stop but I’m so used to him now. I just wait him out,” Marohn said about Haroun Hanover’s penchant for not pulling up after the mile race. “So we  go round (the track) a couple more times and then the starting gate comes out and helps me stop him.”