For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

MR - HAROUN HANOVER WINS FOR THE 10TH TIME BUT REFUSED TO PULL-UP AFTER THE RACE

Despite a wire to wire 1:57.3 triumph with Haroun Hanover in the eighth race at Monticello Raceway on Tuesday afternoon, April 2nd driver Jimmy Marohn Jr. had his hands full.

However, it wasn’t until the race was completed that most Marohn’s problems really began when he couldn’t pull the horse up after the mile.

Since the pacer first came here last fall Haroun Hanover has been known to pass on the return to the winners circle. And today that quirk, which has been part of the pacer’s habits this year, was never more prevalent that it was today (April 3).

“There were a few times earlier this year when I couldn’t stop him after the race and had to go around the track again until I had him (Haroun Hanover) under control,” Marohn related  from the paddock judges office telephone  after he  and the pacer were both safely settled back in the race paddock.

“But today, he was extra tough. I couldn’t stop him even after I went around two extra times. On the third trip around, the starting gate came on the track-- without the wings opened-- and I aimed him squarely behind the car. Finally I got him under control as the groom grabbed him  by the paddock gate and walked him back to his  race stall.

“I don’t know what got into him today all I knew was that I wasn’t going to pull on him because I figured he’d get tired sooner or later. But today he was stronger than I thought.”

“Last week I tried to race him (Haroun Havover) out of a hole and he came up short so this week I knew right from the get-go that I’d put him on the front-end,” Marohn said of the pacer he has driven to nine wins prior to  his race today.

“Every race that we won this year was on the front-end.”

So on Tuesday afternoon(April 2)  Marohn  let his pacer ramble to the lead as the wings of the mobile gate folded and Haroun Hanover  made it look easy as the  7 year old Bettor’s Delight gelding went through his paces rebuffing any and all challenges and then cruising to an easy two-length triumph in a time of 1:57.3.

Fox Valley Renoir, with a perfect two hole journey, finished second for  Zeke Parker while No Gin and Bruce Aldrich, Jr. was third.

“He’s got a big engine but man is he a handful,” Marohn added referring to Haroun Hanover’s shenanigans.

Owned by  Ed Hall and James Hall of South Windsor, Ct. and trained by Danny Gill, Haroun Hanover paid $2.90 for win.

Now with 10 seasonal wins  Haroun Hanover  is currently second in races won this year in North America. That gives the Mighty M a 1-2 pinch because another Monticello Raceway pacer, Tracys Song, is the North American leader with 11 wins.