For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Wayne Teaven To Call At Buffalo Raceway

by Brian J. Mazurek, for Buffalo Raceway

HAMBURG, N.Y. --- When Buffalo Raceway track announcer Peter Berry heads back to his home base of Mountaineer Park starting on April 16th, Wayne Teaven has been named take over behind the microphone.

Teaven will be making the calls on Wednesday and Saturday evenings because Berry will still be in the booth at Buffalo Raceway on Friday nights when Mountaineer Park is dark.

Buffalo Raceway Operations Director Jon Cramer said of Teaven, "He's worked very hard training to be an announcer the past year. He's made some great improvements."

Teaven will also be the on-air handicapper every live race night now instead of just on Saturday nights.

"I'm excited to call at Buffalo Raceway," Teaven said. "I've settled down and now I am much more comfortable calling the races. I've picked things up along the way and it's getting easier."

Teaven said Berry has helped him along the way. "Peter told me after he heard me call a qualifier in January, 'Once your nerves settle down, you'll be just fine.' I think calling football games last year helped calm my nerves too."

He went on to say, "I've always wanted to be some kind of announcer since I was young. I think I was inspired by Pete Szymanski (former Buffalo Raceway caller) to get into harness racing."

Teaven said he isn't trying to copy anyone's style. "I've got a long ways to go to be where I want to be. I don't want to sound like anyone else but myself though. I have picked up little tidbits from other announcers. But I should be informative and be entertaining, but not over the top."

When Buffalo Raceway resumes racing on Wednesday night at 5 p.m., there will be a carryover of $2,795 in the Pick-5 pool which starts in the fifth race. It's the largest carryover of the season.

For more information including the latest news, results, race replays and upcoming promotions, go to www.buffaloraceway.com