For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

CKG Billings - KELLY “SKY” WALKER WINS BILLINGS TROT AT MOHAWK RACETRACK



After an extremely rough trip Kelly “Sky” Walker and Rush N Supreme  finally wore down the pace –setter and then held off  House Money and  Howie “the Horse” Gelfand  to score a neck victory in 1:57.4 in the C.K.G Billings Series trot at Mohawk Racetrack on Monday September 30.

Sent off as the even money favorite from the three-hole in the 10-horse field, Walker found a spot along the pylons in fifth position and stayed there until the field approached the half. At that point he moved his trotter to the outside to challenge the leader O U Gus, driven by “Racin’ Jason” Sgrignuoli, but he was still three lengths in the rears as the passed the half mile marker.

Still on the outside but only a length back as the two trotted by the third stanza  Rush N Supreme wore the leader down on the final turn and then rebuffed a late charge from  House Money who was enjoying a covered two-hole trip. Third place, two lengths behind the winner was Brown Town Lefty with “Dynamite Dave” Drew aboard.

“Once we cleared we opened up a few lengths on the field and in doing so my horse sort’a let up and didn’t see Gelfand , who came charging hard in the deep stretch,” Walker related. “When I heard him coming I went to work on my horse and I said to him (Rush N Supreme) out loud  “if we lose the race it won’t be  my fault it’ll your fault.“I’m sure he didn’t understand me  but I got him wound up  again and we won it.

“My  trainer Terry Tomlin  trucked Rush N Supreme and another of my trotters to Mohawk  which was about a four hour drive from home. The other horse broke and it would have been a long ride home if we came up  completely empty.

Next Billings action  is at Monticello Raceway on Wednesday.