For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Monday, February 2, 2015

Frank Milby Getting Comfortable At Buffalo Raceway

by Brian J. Mazurek, for Buffalo Raceway

HAMBURG, N.Y. --- When driver Frank Milby was looking for a place to compete during the off season on the Maryland harness racing circuit, he decided his landing spot would be Buffalo Raceway.

Frigid Western New York in the dead of winter? Why, Frank, why? His response was very simple, "Why not?"

"I love to race and I felt Buffalo Raceway was the best fit for me," Milby said. "I wanted to race when the Maryland tracks were shut down. I looked around. I raced a few years ago at Vernon Downs (in the summer months, however) and I liked it there. I knew a few people from Vernon who are now racing at Buffalo Raceway so here I am."

The cold weather surprisingly hasn't affected Milby. "I was worried about being cold at first but I actually haven't felt it that much. I've stayed warm all the time. I'd love to drive all 13 races...the cold hasn't bothered me at all."

While he has kept himself warm, he sure has made the tote board red-hot thus far.

It didn't take Milby long to make himself known on the Western New York scene as he won the first race of the 2015 campaign  at Buffalo Raceway when he guided Memumsnotnice to a $38.60 victory.

"Getting that win in the first race opening night took some of the pressure off me," Milby admitted. "Being new here, you don't want to wait to get that first one."

While posting the huge mutuel price on opening night, the 36-year-old Milby wasn't done yet. On Friday, January 23rd, he brought Nineanddivine from the eight post to register a $186.00 win price. Currently, Milby has six wins on the season at Buffalo with his average winner returning $52.60 his backers.

"Just been lucky," Milby said about pulling the upsets in the early part of the season. "I've been second call on some horses, gotten some outside posts so I've been trying to keep them going to get the owners a check. I've been fortunate enough to get some good trips and get the win."

While driving just a handful of races in his career at Buffalo Raceway for this winter, he was able to train a few horses the morning of opening night to get a feel for the Hamburg half-mile oval. "I've found if you keep the horse along the rail, the stretch is pretty long and you can make a move there."

He said the people on the backstretch of Buffalo Raceway have been great. "A lot of trainers have helped me out, especially Ron Van Wagoner," he stated. "I am getting more drives and hopefully it continues. I'd love to get 13 a night."

Milby also said of why the move to Buffalo Raceway. "I love working with the babies, breaking them. But the owner I worked for didn't get any this year so it kind of freed up my schedule."

He admitted he loved to drive the youngsters in the Sires Stakes and is hoping for an opportunity this spring and summer arises. "I did well in the New York Sire Stakes a few years back at Vernon Downs and if I stay here all season, I'd love the chance race them here."

Milby is also approaching a career mark, that being 2,000 career victories. He is just 13 away from that milestone.

"I know I am getting close but I am really not trying to pay attention to it because if you do, you can start to over drive," he said. "I am just going one race at a time and when it happens, it happens."

Milby started racing at Rosecroft Raceway in Maryland and has competed at Chester, Colonial, Dover and Harrington Raceway. He's sitting on 1,987 career wins and has almost $10.5 million in lifetime earnings. Milby's best season came in 2013 where he had 265 victories and $1.5 in earnings.

And his initial thoughts on the local harness racing scene after a month, Milby was nothing but praise. "The people are great. The track is good. I love Hamburg...it's a nice place. I live in the middle of nowhere in Maryland so it's great here.

He also has liked the cuisine. Milby said, "I've had chicken wings at three different spots and can't wait to try 'that sandwich'." The sandwich he is referring to is 'beef on weck'.

As for the rest of the season, "I am going to play it by ear," Milby said. "Whenever you have a job, you can always do better. I think I am doing good now, but I definitely can do better. The big races are on Tuesday in Maryland so I might be able to race there then come back here for the rest of the week."


Milby did admit, however, that becoming a Bills' fan won't happen. "Nope...A Ravens here...that won't change."