After a confirmed case of equine herpes at Vernon Downs, management and the New York Gaming Commission have made the decision to cancel racing tonight at Vernon Downs in the best interest of the harness racing community.
No horses will be allowed to ship into or out of Vernon Downs until further notice, and trainers attempting will be dealt with accordingly. Horsemen and women at Vernon Downs should use hygienic precaution when working from horse to horse, trainers should keep an eye on their horses, and continually take their temperature.
If you have raced at Vernon Downs in the last two weeks or are stabled at Vernon you should take your horses temperature twice a day. If the temperature is over 101.5 you should notify a veterinarian immediately. Horses who have raced at Vernon Downs from April 19 through May 3 should contact the Tioga Downs’ race office to check on certain stipulations regarding their eligibility to race at Tioga.
Management and the New York Gaming Commission will continue to gather more information on the situation and more information will be made available as soon as possible.