For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Monday, November 19, 2012

CKG Billings - HATFIELD WINS BILLINGS GOLD CUP FINAL; FARALDO COPS THE SILVER CUP

The Billings Series finals were held at a new venue this year ,and a few weeks earlier than in past seasons, and when events  were completed,  “Trader Bud” Hatfield  emerged victorious in the $25,000 Delvin Miller Memorial  Gold  Cup Championship Final while  “Smokin’ Joe” Faraldo copped the $15,000 Silver Cup Championship, both at Harrah’s Philadelphia on the sunny afternoon of November 18th.

Hatfield won the 1-1/4 mile contest with Wolf’s Jann in a time of 2:31.2 and Faraldo’s victory came behind Travelin Preacher in 2:31.4, also at a distance of 1-1/4 miles.
In the Gold Cup Championship Trader Bud  floated away from the gate with his trotting mare and once Bob “the Headhunter” Hechkoff , who was in front of him on the limb, found a hole with Tremendous  Hit Hatfield decided to go the lead. Once he settled in on top Hatfield and Wolf’s Jann coasted along by open lengths over the nine others in the contest. However in the  homestretch  Hechkoff rallied his trotter and  they  charged at Hatfield but Wolf’s Jann had enough in the tank to fend off  her challenger  and score the victory, which by the way, was her  fourth consecutive in the Billings Series.

Tremendous Hit and Hechkoff  took home second money and  Mike “the Mortgage Man” Mitchell was third best with B L Class Act.
 “I didn’t want to be on the front-end but I had no choice after Bob (Hechkoff) got a hole. It was a slow quarter so I decided to go on to the front, “ Hatfield explained. “She’s (Wolf’s Jann) been racing well lately so I just kept he busy and when we headed into the final turn I opened her up a bit and  we needed the three -length lead we had  because, not racing a mile and a quarter,  I knew she’s be a bit tired at the end. But the old gal had enough to win it.”

Wolf’s Jann was sent off at odds of4-5 and paid $3.60 for win. She’s owned by her driver.
In the Silver Cup Final, Faraldo made the best of racing luck and followed cover early with Travelin Preacher which eventually carried him all the way to the finish line where the duo ended up a solid one-length winner.  They trotted by their cover, Howmuchubench and  Kelly “Sky”  Walker, in the deep stretch  who had to a settle for  second place . Famous Image  and “Iron Mike” Eaton  took home the show dough.

“ I have to thank Kelly Walker for carrying me all the way,” Faraldo said. “He had the favorite(Howmuchubench) on the rail  and they got away some five lengths off the gate when the race started. It was perfect for me because I got away slowly  and when Kelly pulled-- around  the three –eighths-- I  trotted along four of five steps and then said to myself ‘ get out behind him stupid’ he’s the best in the race.
“I pulled my horse(Travelin Preacher) out  behind him and we shadowed Kelly all the way to the deep stretch and when he went to the whip I knew we’d win it because my horse was still full of trot.”

Travelin Preacher, owned by Faraldo and Joseph Vance, paid $16.20 for win.