For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Sunday, June 15, 2014

I DO HANOVER DOES IT

by Michael Chamberlain, Vernon Downs Publicity

I Do Hanover (Shark Gesture-I'm Married) romped to a three length victory in the $8,000 featured pace at Vernon Downs on Saturday night. Driven by Chris Lems, I Do Hanover sat third in the early stages of the 9th race before tipping out and charging up to take the lead just before the half mile mark. From there, the issue was effectively settled as I Do Hanover built a large lead before the field reached the top of the stretch and won impressively in a time of 1:51.4. The overall split times for the race were 26.2 for the quarter, 55 seconds for the half, and 1:22.4 for three quarters. Some Or Lis (Claude Huckabone III) angled off the pylons in the stretch to get racing room and split horses late to get up for second. Some Or Lis was the longest shot in the six-horse field at 10-1 and completed the $30 exacta with the favorite. I Do Hanover is owned by Philip Hale of New Hartford, New York and David Dewhurst of Clinton, New York. Dewhurst is also the horse's trainer. The complete order of finish for the feature was: I Do Hanover, Some Or Lis, Whitemountainpower, Stormin Rustler, Dragon Fever, and Oozie's Bad Boy.

Vernon Downs also hosted a CKG Billings Amateur Trot on Saturday night. The 3rd race was won by I'm Fabulous, driven by part-owner Scott Woogen, in a time of 1:57.4. I'm Fabulous had to rally past Celtic Merchant (Stephen Oldford), who had maintained the lead throughout the mile until getting passed in the shadow of the wire. I'm Fabulous has now won two of her last three starts, including a Miracle Mile 5 score at Tioga Downs on June 1. She is owned by Scott Woogen of Mechanicsville, Virginia and Brenda Messenger of Monticello, New York. The trainer is Gary Messenger.


Live racing resumes at Vernon Downs on Thursday night with a 9-race program. First post time is 6:45pm.