For Opinion, click here for View from the Racetrack Grandstand

Friday, June 21, 2013

MR - BRUCE ALDRICH, JR.; WINS 4 MIGHTY M OH THURSDAY; NOW SEVENTH IN RACES WON IN NORTH AMERICA,

 Bruce Aldrich, Jr. is having the best season of his career. And he’s had some good ones in the past and currently he’s the proud owner of 4373 lifetime driving victories.

But 2013 is the year that Aldrich broke out. He is now among the leaders in races won this year and his  258 wins is seventh best on  the North American leaderboard.

Aldrich added to his totals yesterday ( June 20)when he reined four winners on the afternoon card at Monticello Raceway where he leads all reinsmen with 182 driving victories.

His first win on the Thursday card came in race three when he guided Elisha Lafreniere’s  veteran pacer Armbro Durable($3.30) home first in a 1:56.4 mile. He then won the next race with Al Annunzuiata’s trotter, Distinct Victory($13.20)  in 2:00.4.

Win number three came behind Jim Ray’s trotting mare Tameka Seelster ($7.10) in a time of 2:01.2 and Aldrich capped his afternoon  with a  seven-length romp with Standardbred Ventures trotting mare, Motown Dreamgirl ($7.70) in  a seasonal best, 1:59.4.

“For the first time in my career I’m trying to drive at two different  racetracks this year,” Aldrich said. “In the past I’ve always raced at one place, mainly Monticello Raceway, because I always carried  a large stable of horses.

“Last year I moved to the Saratoga area and pretty much have given up on a big stable. This year I basically have been basically concentrating on driving at both Monticello and Saratoga (Raceways). And let me tell you when I have to race at both tracks on the same day I’m hoppin’ because Saratoga and Monticello are some  150 miles apart and it’s no easy trip.”

According to Aldrich it’s all been worthwhile since he’s en route to driving the most winners ever  in a single season since he began his driving career some 25 years ago. His previous best  output was 451  wins which he mostly recorded at Monticello Raceway  during the 2010 season.

He was asked why he decided to try to drive at the two different  racetracks  this season.

“I spent all of last year at Saratoga (Raceway)  where I won almost 290 races and got to drive for some of the top trainers there. I’m currently second in wins  (74) there so far this year.

“ But I really made up my mind to try to race at both tracks when I got off to a real good start during this past winter at Monticello before Saratoga’s season got underway . I guess I’m a lucky guy, too, because I’m  getting  a chance to drive for top trainers at both racetracks,”  Aldrich said.